Ask Reference Staff to help you:
Reference Staff will deliver Library Instruction classes to students of any
program taught at or through Red River College. We will tailor the sessions to
meet the needs of your class. Basic Library Instruction classes may include the
- Introduction to the Library
- Creating effective searches
- Choosing the most effective search tools
- Searching the Library’s Online Catalogue (OPAC)
- Searching Online Databases for journal articles
- Searching & evaluating suitable Internet resources
- Tour of the Library
Library Instruction classes at the Notre Dame Campus are usually conducted in
the Library Classroom, room CM29 in the Library. Reference staff will deliver a
session in another computer lab at the Notre Dame Campus or at another Red River
College campus or off-campus site, depending on the availability of staff.
Please consider the following when booking a session:
- If you require every student to use a terminal you may wish to schedule
more than one session. There are 15 computers in the Library Classroom at
the Notre Dame Campus. Your assistance in booking a different lab, as
necessary, would be greatly appreciated.
- If one terminal per student is not required, we prefer no more than 20
students in a session.
- Please notify us at least a week in advance to ensure the availability
of the Library Classroom or other space at the time you need. Reference
staff also require sufficient time to prepare the session.
- If there is an assignment related to the library instruction session,
please provide a copy to reference staff in advance. This will allow us to
make the session more relevant to the students’ specific needs.
To book a session: