Red River College subscribes to a large number of journals both independently and through our extensive database collections. Print journals are housed within the Library, and eJournals are journals and magazines that are displayed and viewed online. Staff and students can access these materials through their college account.
Don’t forget to check out the related guides for similar topics and if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Thanks, and enjoy!
Use these guides to get the most out of your library experience, improve your research skills, use library resources to their full research potential and more.
There are a couple of ways to find journals in the Library. This guide will focus on using Journal Search. For information about the other methods click on the links below.
You will need to Sign In to access any online resources. (More about Signing in and Library Card (your online Library account))
2. Type the Name or ISSN of the journal in the search box
Journal Search will offer some predictive search results based on the collection.
3. Click the spyglass icon or Enter key
From the results page, you can use the filters to limit by ejournals (available online) or print journals (Physical items in the library). You can also see from the records if they are available online or if they have a physical location. Peer-Reviewed journals are also clearly identified on this page as well as Open Access journals.
Click on the journal title for more information and options.
1. Click on the Details for the Journal (This works for both electronic journals and print journals)
2. Enter your search terms in the Search Box
3. The Journal search box will move your query to a populated Advanced Search field.
In the example, we can see that the ISSN - which identifies the journal we are wanting to search - has been entered. This prevents any other journal from responding.
4. Modify your search as desired and Search as per usual.
To browse the articles in a particular issue - similar to flipping through a print copy of a journal
1. In the Journal details
2. Click on the link under "Full-Text Availability" to go to the database where the eJournal resides
On the Right-side of the details page we can see links for all issues.
3. Click on the year to expand the option to see all issues in that grouping
4. Click on the issue you want to explore
5. A search is created to see all articles related to that particular issue of the selected journal.
From this screen, you can modify the search to a particular topic and search as per usual.