Filters appear on the results page of a Basic or Advanced Search. They allow you to further refine your search by excluding or focusing on elements; thus removing that which is not relevant.
Click on the v beside filter headers to expand that section (click again to collapse). Filters will not display if there is no content.
By applying a filter you exclude everything that DOES NOT contain that filter item.
ex. if I apply the "Peer-reviewed Journals" filter I will only see results that include "Peer-reviewed Journal" as an attribute.
ex. if I apply a subject filter only articles with that subject will be displayed.
1. Click the checkbox beside the filter you choose
2. Click the Apply Filter button at the bottom of the filters
Your active filters are the filters that you have applied to this search. They will remain until you do another search.
Active filters display above the filter options.
to REMOVE a filter simply click on the X beside the Active filter name.
If you are doing multiple searches but need the same filters, such as "Peer-reviewed Journals" you will need to re-apply the filter every time you search unless you make it a Persistent Filter.
1. Hover over an active filter and you will see a blue Lock icon appear (you won't see it unless your cursor is on the active filter);
2. Click the lock.
This filter will now be persistent for the session.
To remove the persistent aspect, click the lock again to toggle it off.
The regular filters allow us to select what we want to see. ex. I only want to see articles that are "Peer-reviewed journals".
The EXCLUDE feature allows us to select what we don't want to see -- keeping all other attributes.
1. Hover over a filter and you will see a red Exclude icon appear (you won't see it unless your cursor is on the filter);
2. Click Exclude. (in this example we will see all subjects Except "carnivores" whereas if we had used the filter (on the left of the filter) we would see ONLY "carnivores")
Excluding filters will be displayed among the Active Filters in red font with a stroke
Hover for the Persistent Filter lock
Click X to remove the filter entirely
Do you have a title to recommend for our collection? Use the Suggest a Purchase form to suggest a book, video or journal.
Do you have suggestions or feedback that can help improve this guide? Please contact this guide's author on the "Getting Started" page.