Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Repeat or rephrase information to ensure that the intended message has been received.
Using this Strategy
At college and at work, students will use this strategy to:
- Confirm that a message has been successfully received and understood
- Clarify the details of a message for the receiver
- Invite the sender to confirm the details of the message
- Communicate understanding through email, chat, meetings and shared documents
- Participate effectively in group work by confirming shared goals, build on meaning, confirm roles and responsibilities, and respond to non-verbal feedback
To learn about using paraphrasing to clarify a message, students can:
To learn more about clarifying the details of a message, students can:
To learn strategies and language for giving and receiving feedback, students can review:
Related Academic Success Centre Supports
Students can access the following resources through Library & Academic Services to develop this strategy:
- Writing Tutoring, for individualized in-person and email support to develop writing skills, and to help develop clarification skills through writing.
- EAL Tutoring, for individualized language development for students whose first language is not English, which can help develop students' ability to clarify both through writing and speaking.