Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Reflect before and after communication to assess, repair, and improve outcomes.
Using this Strategy
Your students will use reflection skills when they:
- Write reflection assignments for their courses.
- Apply the growth mindset, and think about a challenge they've had and what they could do differently to make things easier next time.
- Have had a conflict with someone and think about how to repair the relationship
- Made a bad choice and want to be prepared to make a better choice next time.
- Are planning ahead for group work and want to achieve the best outcome.
- Think about how much they have learned during a course and how this will help in the workplace.
To learn about reflective writing, students can:
To learn about how to reflect on an experience, students can:
To learn about how to reflect on a personal experience and develop an growth mindset:
Related Academic Success Centre Supports
Faculty can access the following resources through Library & Academic Services to help their students develop this strategy:
- Developing Study Strategies workshop, for full-class support with reflecting on and develop study strategies that work for each student.
- Diversity Training workshop series to develop Intercultural competence, cultural awareness, self-awareness, and reflection skills needed to study and work successfully in today’s global environment
- Online Learning hybrid LEARNing module for asynchronous resources that can be embedded within a LEARN course to help students reflect on the best practices for online learning, and to enhance their productivity, time-management, and overall wellness while learning online.
Students can access the following resources through Library & Academic Services to develop this strategy:
- Tutoring for individualized and small group support, to help reflect on course content.
- Writing Tutoring, for individualized in-person and email support to develop reflective writing skills.
- EAL Tutoring, for individualized language development for students whose first language is not English to develop reflective skills for both academic and workplace success.
- Academic Coaching, to develop the academic skills relating to reflection and meta-cognition.