ProQuest RefWorks for Google Docs is a plugin for Google Docs that lets you run a simplified version of RefWorks inside Docs.
1. Open Google Docs
2. Click Add-Ons;
Click Proquest RefWorks;
Click Manage Citations
3. RefWorks will open a sidebar and prompt you to log-in to RefWorks
Once you are logged in you should see all your references in the sidebar
There are many styles that are used and it will depend on your discipline and assignment which you should pick. Common styles include APA, MLA, and Chicago.
NOTE: If you want to use APA 7th edition, Please select/search "APA 7th - No title casing, American Psychological Association, 7th Edition".
1. Click the Settings (cog) icon on the RefWorks sidebar.
2. Select Change Citation Style from the list
3. Use the search bar to select the desired style, the recently used will be listed first. If you don't see your style type the name to search the style collection.
If you decide to change styles halfway through your document,
1. Select the new style from the list
2. Select Update Document to update existing citations to the new style.
The Default view for references is All References. To change to a different folder:
1. Click on the Folder name (All references ) to see a list of all available folders
2. Select the folder
1. Place your cursor where you want the citation inserted.
2. Hover over the citation on the sidebar - you will see two options appear "Cite this" and "Edit and Cite".
"Edit and Cite" gives you the opportunity to edit the citation if you see errors, prior to inserting it in the document text. More about editing citations at the bottom of this box.
Note: It is recommended that you ensure that your reference is correct in RefWorks prior to starting your document.
3. Click the "Cite this" button to insert the citation.
4. The inserted citation has been highlighted in red text for visibility in this example.
Write-N-Cite Google Docs will automatically generate an accompanying bibliography list. The list will update as new citations are added to the document.
Prior to inserting a citation in the text, you can make limited changes to the citation.
1. Instead of clicking "Cite this", click "Edit and Cite" to open the edit view.
2. Make changes to the text.
3. Click the "Insert" button, the citation will be added as per usual.
RefWorks Write-N-Cite will automatically generate (and update) a Reference or Bibliography list as citations are added to the document. It will be formatted based on the style selected.
There are no special functions to change the format or remove a bibliography. Once created the bibliography will act like regular text and can be modified, or deleted.
Note: If you remove a reference from the list but do not remove the matching inline citation, it will reappear next time the list refreshes.