If you’ve come directly from high school or have been out of school for a while, you may find it tricky at first to adjust to the requirements needed for college level writing. You may need to write for different reasons and courses, for example, you may have to:
• Summarize a reading to show understanding of the content
• Write a full length academic essay on a topic of the instructor’s or their own choosing
• Analyze and write a critique on a book or academic journal article
• Present an argument using evidence and reasons to defend their position
• Create business documents such as memos, letters, reports, and proposals
All of these tasks require thinking and writing in a more structured way than they may have done before. Check out the resources on this page for time-tested strategies on becoming comfortable with the writing process. And be sure to drop into our Writing Help Desk if you need one-on-one assistance.
Here is a list of websites that you may find helpful while taking college courses.
These sites give writing help for all types of writing required in college. Writing techniques are given for grammar, organizing and developing essays, and referencing using APA and MLA styles.